Tuesday, July 28, 2009

When should we use NLP in coaching?

Trough one of my coaching education sessions, I heard from my instructor that cultural specifications might effect on our coaching process with our clients,one of my classmates reminded a good point in this issue.She told that maybe our clients speak in English but think in their own language.
What a great valuable point!!!
But does it mean that we should just coach the people who have similar culture with us?So how to coach a client who is coming from other cultures?
How to handle this issue?I tried to challenge myself to be more clarified in this subject.
My instructor also noted another point which was fantastic,that was about different operating systems which somehow have run on different brains from different cultures......
Great point again!!!!
What if we could change that operating system with a new one at least during our coaching sessions or what if we could make a new protocol to be able to communicate despite of this big difference?
Finally,I found NLP(Neuro Linguistic Programming) as a great tool in dealing with cultural issues.
How to use it?

4 comments:

  1. Hi there;

    I think changing OS during the coaching session seems to be a meaningless issue. We are facing an independent entity who is called human. A humankind who has his problems and misunderstandings is an object of the coach.

    I think a coach should be familiar with the his client's culture, the way a living and values as well.

    Suppose a special action in a culture is value while in an other culture it is called sin or immoral action. So a coach should act in a flexible manner. As u mentioned a couch just gives a torch to his/her client and not more. Therefor changing the OS means changing the clients mind without his control.

    However I think our world is tarnsforming. Some day I believe, all cultures would be get together and to be closer to each other. some day a common language people will speak and Finally Some day these big differences in cultural misunderstanding would be dimmed and people would communicate each other in a peaceful atmosphere.

    To conclude I feel makinmg changes in client's mind should be chosen by himself not others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment you've left.Actually you've mensioned a good point,However my post has not finished yet.
    You know I didn't say anything about how to change the OS and when should we do it!
    Anyway!your ideas are welcome and I will consider them in the rest of my post.
    Thank you again

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vahideh,
    Interesting post. I coach in two languages Polish and English and I was afraid at the begining that something "will be lost in translation" so I stopped translating, I think in two systems, which started to have more and more connections, maybe it will merged in one, one day :) Anyway, it is interesting subject, looking forward to more your posts on this, I've added your blog to my blogroll, Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi
    Thank you for the comment,my next post is going to be poblished it's about how can we use NLP in coaching.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete